Hangout With Hi-Tech Explorers

Photo courtesy of Crittercam.
Emperor penguins have provided some of the most captivating footage in the Crittercam program. (Photo courtesy of Crittercam)

Join us for our next Google+ Hangout as we explore the cutting-edge technology that allows us to perceive the formerly unseen. From the glaciers of Antarctica to cold outer space, both of our guests are using technology in extreme places to further our understanding of the planet.

Kyler Abernathy serves as the primary planner for National Geographic’s Crittercam program, in which a compact camera with the capacity film up to eight hours of footage is safely and non-invasively worn by an animal to record its life from its own point of view. Kyler is currently applying Crittercam units onto leopard seals and will be joining the Hangout from the team’s base camp in Antarctica.

A leopard seal yawns between naps on a rocky beach. (Photo courtesy of Crittercam)

National Geographic Fellow and Emerging Explorer Sarah Parcak uses satellites orbiting 400 miles overhead equipped with powerful cameras to identify archaeological sites invisible to the human eye. Less than 1 percent of ancient Egypt has been discovered and excavated. An Egyptologist, Sarah is pioneering a young field called “satellite archaeology” to find what else resides in the remaining 99 percent.

Photo by James P. Blair/National Geographic Creative
Some ancient Egyptian sites are admittedly easy to spot without recourse to hi-tech wizardry. (Photo by James P. Blair/National Geographic Creative)

How to Participate in the Hangout

You can be a part of our next Google+ Hangout. Send in your questions for these National Geographic Explorers and they may be asked on air. Submit your questions by…

  • Uploading a video question to YouTube with hashtag #LetsExplore
  • Posting a question on Google+ or Twitter with hashtag #LetsExplore or
  • Commenting directly on this blog post

Follow National Geographic on Google+ or return to this blog post to watch the Google+ Hangout Friday, January 24th at  1 p.m. EST (6 p.m. UTC).

Other Hangouts From National Geographic:

Hangout With the Adventurers of the Year
Hangout With Buzz Aldrin and Conrad Anker
Hangout With Explorers on All Seven Continents


  1. Serena Hansel
    January 24, 2014, 2:20 pm

    #Let’s Explore
    What’s the population of leopard seals and what can we do to help them live their life to their fullest.

  2. Sophie Levi
    San Diego
    January 24, 2014, 1:42 pm

    Doug, the speech and debate team wishes you the best! Your wife says hi!

  3. Jolene
    January 23, 2014, 11:39 pm

    I am not much knowing about the environment in Antarctica… Just reading a few but would like to know how does learning about Antarctica, give us the hint about climate change affecting the other parts of the globe especially tropical area besides learning about the melting ice. How about the wild inhabitants?

    How’s is the ecology of the Antarctica? Is its capability of surviving on its own?

    Is the wildlife population in Antarctica increasing or decreasing? Since the number of tourists are increasing… Are we affecting them and vice versa?

  4. Sam McElrea
    Kenai, Alaska
    January 23, 2014, 2:48 pm

    I was wondering if you could send me videos of the seals feasting on the penguins?

  5. Liz
    January 22, 2014, 8:07 pm

    How do you install and retrieve the critter cam video, and how long does any one animal wear it? Is it always on, or can you control on/off remotely? What’s the most astonishing thing about the animal you’re studying that you’ve learned since using the critter cam?

  6. DOCQ
    January 22, 2014, 1:24 pm

    Je ne parle ni comprends l’anglais, aussi il m’est difficile de participer. Votre travail est formidable et je regarde toutes vos vidéos sur ces animaux qui vivent dans le froid. Ont-ils des réactions familières depuis que vous les suivez avec vos caméras ?

  7. Shahid
    January 21, 2014, 12:07 pm

    You guy’s are doing very nice job. Its really beautiful
    My question is
    1. Is there any harm to any animal by placing these cam on them
    2. What do these penguin do when the temperature fall and it gets cold.
    I will love to join your team ti explore the wild world of animal.
    I wish i could join
    Thanks so much
    Keep doing the good work
    +91 9867974754

  8. Mario Poncin
    Belgium, Europe
    January 20, 2014, 4:36 pm

    Question for Kyler.
    I was wondering? Did you see any change in social behaviour with for instance pinguins? Outcasted for having an unnatural extra? Or don’t they care? Keep up the good work. Your work will enrich the lives of many, mine included. Greetings, mario