VOICES Voices Icon Ideas and Insight From Explorers

Menu

Hubble’s “Savior” Camera Now on Display

wfpc2.jpg

Hubble’s WFPC-2, now on display at Air and Space

—Picture copyright Smithsonian Institution

“The difference between an artifact and an instrument is that, now that it’s an artifact, you can’t touch it anymore.”

So General Jack Dailey told astronaut John Grunsfeld during the opening of a new gallery in the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum—now home to several significant artifacts from the Hubble Space Telescope.

Just a few short months ago, Grunsfeld was part of the shuttle mission sent to repair and upgrade the aging Hubble. The crew’s tasks included removing the Wide-Field Planetary Camera 2 (WFPC-2) and the Corrective Optics Space Telescope Axial Replacement (COSTAR) so they could be replaced with more advanced instruments.

(See some of the first pictures from the upgraded Hubble.)

costar.jpg

COSTAR, sometimes called Hubble’s contact lenses

—Picture by Eric Long/NASM, copyright Smithsonian Institution

Air and Space made the phone booth-size COSTAR part of its new gallery, called Moving Beyond Earth, a high-tech setup full of interactives, computer feeds, and huge visual projections.

—Picture by Eric Long/NASM, copyright Smithsonian Institution

power-trainer.jpg

WFPC-2, meanwhile, gets a place of honor in the museum’s Space Hall. The camera, about the size of a baby grand piano, “turned Hubble into the Great American comeback story,” NASA’s Edward J. Weiler told reporters during the gallery opening.

The now beloved space telescope had a few early setbacks, including the grim discovery shortly after launch that its primary mirror was deformed, making its science images pretty much useless.

WFPC-2 got installed during the first-ever Hubble servicing mission in December 1993, complete with its own built-in corrective optics that compensated for the faulty mirror.

(FYI, new instruments installed since then also carried their own corrective optics, eventually rendering COSTAR obsolete. It was removed to make room for a device called a spectrograph, designed to study the origins of the universe.)

The same mission added COSTAR, a bundle of tiny mirrors that sent corrected, focused light to the rest of Hubble’s instruments. But WFPC-2 specifically went on to provide scientists with some of the most iconic Hubble pictures that both dazzled the public and offered new insights into the universe.

“Museums remind us of the choices we make as a culture.”

—David DeVorkin

(See WFPC-2’s last “pretty picture” before the camera was removed in May 2009.)

“Hubble has more than fulfilled its promise,” said senior curator of space history David DeVorkin.

But astronaut Grunsfeld, who joked about his title of “chief Hubble hugger,” reminded the audience that it wasn’t really the instruments that saved Hubble, it was the people.

“Museums remind us of the choices we make as a culture,” DeVorkin added. During Hubble’s development, people made the choice to build a space telescope that could see objects ten billion times fainter than the human eye.

People also made the choice to make that telescope something that could be regularly serviced rather than used until it broke and then abandoned.

And when Hubble suffered from its initial setback, people made the choice to find ways to fix what was quickly labeled as a national failure.

“It’s a message of persistence,” Dailey said. “Don’t quit. Hubble is a perfect example of that.”

Comments

1. Ashlee
    August 6, 2010, 11:04 pm

I am amazed that we have the capabilities to make such an amazing thing happen. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    Thanks Ashlee Hitchen
    Cheap Auto Insurance

2. Hailey790
    August 4, 2010, 4:34 pm

These are some really amazing pictures that I cant believe are out there. We are learning more and more everyday from the data this is bringing back to us.
    Thanks Data Recovery Los Angeles
    Data Recovery Los Angeles

3. Gracie990
    August 3, 2010, 9:44 pm

This is so very interesting. Outer space really interests me so much because its the last frontier. I am very impressed.
    Thanks Grace Olson
    Link Building Services

4. Emily670
    August 3, 2010, 11:06 am

This is really amazing to me. Im glad to see that we can view this great camera. Hopefully we can learn more about space. This is great.
    Thanks Emily Harris
    Paid Surveys UK

5. wilma
    August 2, 2010, 5:07 am

Awesome stuff, thank you for your time and efforts
    Wilma –
    Work from home UK | Stay at home mom jobs

6. diyRoberts
    July 30, 2010, 12:59 pm
  7. WillPR
    July 30, 2010, 10:10 am
  8. christmassms
    July 30, 2010, 9:41 am

The gallery also houses the HST Power Control Unit Trainer, a life-size replica of Hubble’s electrical nerve center. Grunsfeld was among the astronauts who used the trainer to practice replacing the unit during a 2002 servicing mission. CCTV

9. arogan
    July 27, 2010, 3:41 am

Thank you for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing? I have a presentation incoming week, and I am on the lookout for such information.
    Online Shopping

10. josi
    July 24, 2010, 5:09 am

I liked reading your blog ~ thanks for posting such awesome material business level | Health for Life | Travel | world Health body | Autos | Technology | Azka | Business

11. arogan
    July 24, 2010, 4:13 am

This is a fantastic quote by Boaz which you use to cement your arguement well!! I could not have done it better myself and I am a member of the university debating society. Good skills.
    Discount vitamins

12. Michael Roy
    July 22, 2010, 3:29 pm

Article is very nicely written and I am happy to find so many useful information here in the post, thanks for sharing it here. I hope you will adding more. Thanks playstation

13. yashita
    July 21, 2010, 7:40 pm

Nicely presented information in this post, I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post.Wedding Planner

14. stephen andrew
    July 21, 2010, 9:51 am

I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and have my children check up here often. I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else! intraday share market tips

15. arogan
    July 20, 2010, 5:52 am

These kind of post are always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content so I happy to find many good point here in the post, writing is simply great, thank you for the post.
    enclosed trailers for sale

16. jack
    July 19, 2010, 4:19 am

mbt shoes online
    mbt sandals
    mbt sandals sale

17. jameslee
    July 18, 2010, 9:09 pm

The technology with this camera is so good. The hubble gets us so much information. This information is definitely needed for our research.
    Wallets

18. arogan
    July 12, 2010, 8:26 am

healthcare informatics

19. WillPR
    July 5, 2010, 7:31 pm

Wow! This is phenomenal!
    Well done all!
    WPR – Expert in EuroMillions, E Lottery and E-Lottery

20. inter4522
    June 30, 2010, 10:32 pm

The hubble camera is so cool to look at. This technology is so good. You can see so much through this camera. I just love this technology.
    palm beach cosmetic dentist

21. js
    June 22, 2010, 8:39 pm

This is amazing – this truly amazes me!
    Soni DF – Owner of DFBeds selling Faux Leather Beds, Cheap Single Beds and Kids Single Beds

22. penarthits
    June 20, 2010, 8:29 pm

can’t wait!
    WR – cheap web hosting expert

23. jiji22
    June 18, 2010, 9:15 am

In Asia Pacific, this channel was the first channel to support 1080i HD and 5.1-channel surround sound. The channel was commercially available in Singapore via StarHub TV Channel 301 on 18 January 2007, followed by Vietnam via Vietnam Multimedia Corporation VTC. fax on internet