VOICES Voices Icon Ideas and Insight From Explorers

Menu

Sustainable Sun in Costa Rica, India, and the Virgin Islands

visfi.jpgNearly 200 sustainable tourism experts are gathered today at National Geographic for the second annual Geotourism Change Summit. Coming out of the summit is a trustworthy list of top sustainable-travel destinations and providers. So, if you are planning a midwinter escape, consider:

Nature Air. It is a 100 percent carbon-neutral airline in Costa Rica that offsets 100 percent of its greenhouse gas emissions to encourage reforestation of tropical forests in Costa Rica’s Osa Peninsula.

PEPY (“Protect the Earth, Protect Yourself”). PEPY is an educational-tourism program providing adventure bike tours and on-site volunteer projects, like building rainwater collection units, in Cambodia.

Virgin Islands Youth Heritage Exchange Farm Excursions in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, focuses on food as the basis of youth identity, education, and recreation, while you enjoy your time at the beach!

RiverIndia.com‘s Bamboo Eco-Lodge River Trips in Arunachal Pradesh, India, help protect India’s Siang River through locally guided expeditions.

Trout Point Lodge, Nova Scotia. This Five Green Key-designated nature retreat in Canada has revitalized backwoods and Acadian French cultural tourism, according to summit sponsors Ashoka’s Changemakers and the National Geographic Society’s Center for Sustainable Destinations (CSD).

Featured travel companies and resorts both take care of a particular destination and benefit the local people, according to Jonathan Tourtellot, director of CSD. For more information on Ashoka and CSD’s top choices, visit CSD’s website.

Photo by Nate Olive for VISFI.

–Tasha Eichenseherblog-headshot.jpg

Comments

1. James
    July 21, 2010, 12:27 am

Would love to see some action after the talking. When is the next Geotourism Change Summit?
    Diabetic Foot Care

2. MikeT81
    July 18, 2010, 12:15 pm

I have heard about nature air. Really good to see airlines going green. The amount of fuel they use is really unbelievable
    Youtube to mp3 converter,Youtube to Mp3 online,Youtube to Mp3

3. mandy
    July 15, 2010, 9:44 am

Great initiatives from these organisations! This is a great article.
    frankfurt hotels | leeds dating | sheffield dating

4. danielx82
    July 12, 2010, 5:38 am

Great article Tasha, I love reading your stuff
    Daniel – realtek driver windows 7

5. battery4laptop
    July 12, 2010, 2:10 am

—————-
    UK Laptop Battery | Laptop Battery | UK AC Adapters | Cheap Laptop Battery | Laptop Computer Batteries | UK Laptop Batteries | Laptop Battery Replacement | Laptop Akku

6. daily-sudoku
    July 9, 2010, 4:07 am

sounds like a succesful conference, Im working on an angular cheilitis treatment site angular cheilitis and I hope its succesful too

7. John
    July 2, 2010, 2:27 am

Wow, that is great to hear. I’m going to score the net now to see if I can find out more on this, thanks for the heads up on this.
    san Francisco movers

8. benjovi
    June 30, 2010, 10:40 pm

Wonderful. To date, Nature Air has compensated for nearly 20,000 tons of carbon dioxide through the protection of more than 500 acres.
    Capsiplex

9. hanlyone
    June 30, 2010, 9:38 pm

Just by dragging and dropping, you can do a simple progress blu ray ripper
    blu ray ripper
    blu ray to avi
    blu ray to wmv
    blu ray to mp4 instead of the complex program. If you happenly want to rip Blu Ray to computer, trust this Blue Ray to Computer!

10. cristianx82
    June 22, 2010, 6:59 am

Awsome invention
    Cristian – make money online

11. jiji22
    June 18, 2010, 8:12 am

appropriate web mapping solution for you. This Flash map lets you color code any state, county, etc.ecommerce

12. joup
    June 18, 2010, 4:18 am

Buy cheap Links of London jewellery at online links of london store,links of london, links of london sweetie bracelet, links of london bracelet, link of london limited edition
    links of london
    links london
    links of london charms
    Links of London Jewelry online store. Buy cheap Links of London jewellery at CooLinks UK store, including Links of London.
    tiffany jewelry
    Choose, buy and shop for on sale tiffany jewelry including Tiffany & Co Silver Necklace, Pendants, Bangles, Bracelets, Earrings, Rings and Accessories.
    tiffany co
    tiffany and co
    UK Tiffany Jewellery Sale Outlet provides designer Tiffany Ring, necklaces and other jewelry in wholesale price. UK Tiffany specializes in
    Tiffany Bracelets,
    tiffany jewellery

13. RodneyMc
    June 18, 2010, 3:07 am

I can also say great article Tasha, I was very intrigued to find that Nature Air was a 100% carbon neutral airline. Wow, thats really great to hear. I’m going to search the net now to see if I can find out more on this.
    hemorrhoid relief

14. bartodeo
    June 16, 2010, 10:25 am

Nice article Tasha, I was particularly intrigued to find that Nature Air was a 100% carbon neutral airline. Wow, thats great to hear. I’m going to scoure the net now to see if I can find out more on this, thanks for the heads up on this.
    download get him to the greek
    download killers
    download marmaduke
    download despicable me
    download predators
    download inception
    download the sorcerer’s apprentice

15. inter4522
    June 13, 2010, 9:39 pm

Nature air is so good. I think this is such a great invention. This needs to be pushed more and more for the environment.
    Scales

16. Linda
    May 20, 2010, 7:07 am

All these spots and activities would be more encouraged by school kids. This would be both adventurous and energetic for them. Both parents as well as their school administration should plan for such useful trips which would help them explore their own ideas upon saving the Earth.
    Chicago Movers

17. Viru
    May 18, 2010, 11:01 am

Trane Heat Pump

18. The Window Man
    February 11, 2010, 10:58 am

I have added all of these items to my list. Thank you.
    “I am here to serve.”